Chios – Modern and Ancient Greek Language Summer Courses
EASTER AT CHIOS: 12/04 – 25/04/2020
SEPTEMBER 2020: 30/08 – 12/09/2020
|TYPE OF COURSE||DATES||TWO WEEKS||ONE WEEK|
|Modern and Ancient Greek Language and Culture||12/04 – 25/04||590 €||390 €|
|Modern and Ancient Greek Language and Culture||30/08 – 12/09||590 €||390 €|
|Modern and Ancient Greek Language (Private course)||All year round|
|ACCOMMODATION||DATES||SINGLE ROOM||DOUBLE ROOM|
|Voulamandis House||12/04-25/04||45€ per night||45€ per night|
|Voulamandis House||30/08-12/09||45€ per night||45€ per night|
Modern Greek language and Culture course
Ancient Greek course
Private courses of Greek language and Culture all year round
This program is designed for students who want to make rapid progress in Modern Greek language and deepen their knowledge of Greece and its culture. It offers an intensive language course for beginner, intermediate and advanced level. The course is 40 hours, divided into 10 days, and includes grammar, reading, speaking, and writing. It also provides an insight into Greek culture and civilization. Special courses of Modern Greek Literature and Culture and of Ancient Greek are offered on request. Our Greek teachers are qualified, specialized and experienced in teaching Greek as a foreign language. Moreover the course is combined with lectures, outdoor activities and various tours helping students become more familiar with contemporary Greek culture.
This summer “We Learn Modern Greek” at Chios, Homer’s island. Together we will discover its ancient and medieval history, the Byzantine mosaics of Nea Moni and Genoese castles and mansions. We will discover the aroma of a special resin called masticha, the main ingredient of a variety of products such as chewing gum, liqueurs and chemicals, we will taste new dishes and we will enjoy crystal-clear beaches and the incomparable beauty of this unique island.
For Greeks, Easter is the biggest religious holiday of the spring. The big week, or as it is known in Greek ‘Megali Evdomada,’ is the week from Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday. On Good Saturday in the morning we celebrate the Resurrection of Christ, it is called “Proti Anastasi”. It is the last day of Lent and it is filled with preparations for the midnight meal. Just before midnight on Saturday everyone gathers at church with their Easter candles. Just before midnight all the lights are switched off, as a symbol of Jesus’ descending to the kingdom of death, and a moment later the priest announces ‘Christos Anesti,’ or Christ Has Risen. People start cheering, greeting and kissing each other and many fireworks go off.
The Easter at Chios is really unique; In the small village of Vrontados, two churches staged a fake war using cannons and fireworks. This tradition, born of religious fervor, continues to this day. Each year, as Easter Sunday looms, the parishes of the Agios Markos and Panagia Erithiani churches, which sit on opposite hills, unleash thousands of homemade firework rockets on each other, creating one of the world’s most surreal pyrotechnic displays.
PROGRAM OF COURSES
The program will be held in Voulamandis house in Kampos (Chios) and classes are taking place from Monday to Friday, from 09:00 to 13:00. The weekend is dedicated to various cultural activities (optional). It is up to the Alexandria Institute to make changes in the schedule or the location of the lessons if necessary.
EASTER AT CHIOS
- Sunday, April 12, 2020. Arrival in Chios and check in.
- Monday, April 13 – Friday, April 17 and Monday, April 20 – Friday, April 24, from 9:00 to 13:00. Lessons in Genoese villa “Voulamandis House”.
- Friday, April 24, 2020. Graduation with representatives of Alexandria Institute and Greek local authorities.
- Saturday, April 25, 2020. Check out and departure from Chios.
SUMMER COURSE AT CHIOS
- Sunday, August 30, 2020. Arrival in Chios and check in.
- Monday, August 31 – Friday, September 04 and Monday, September 07 – Friday, September 11, from 9:00 to 13:00. Lessons in Genoese villa “Voulamandis House”.
- Friday, September 11, 2020. Graduation with representatives of Alexandria Institute and Greek local authorities.
- Saturday, September 12, 2020. Check out and departure from Chios.
TYPE OF COURSES – LEVELS
Alexandria Institute offers intensive courses of Modern Greek language and Culture for beginners, intermediate and advanced level students.
In addition to the general courses, the following special courses are offered:
The program will be held at Voulamandis House (Voulamandis House, Kalvokoressi 117, 82100 Chios. http://www.chioshotel.gr/). Students are offered accommodation in this refurbished Genoese mansion. Voulamandis House is located in Kampos, in a 12-acre farm surrounded by orange and mandarin groves.
It offers free on-site parking. The rooms, renovated in 2011, are bright, spacious and air-conditioned with big bathrooms, equipped with LCD TV, free Wi-Fi, a fridge and kettles to enjoy your coffee or tea on the balcony or in its beautiful garden. It is 6 km from the main town of Chios and 3 km from the sandy beach of Karfas. Products from the mansion’s organic farm are used daily for breakfast.
Voulamandis House also offers accommodation in apartments with kitchen at an additional cost.
For many centuries, Chios’ strategic location had an important impact on the island’s history. Therefore in the different villages there are many remains from the various historical periods and the different conquerors. For further information visit: http://www.chiosonline.gr/sightseeing.asp
The course is organized by Alexandria Institute (Athens).
For registration or information about the Greek language and culture course at Chios, please fill in the registration form or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or +306972526788 (Greece). Please describe in detail your previous knowledge of Modern Greek language, both written and spoken, as well as whether you have any knowledge of Ancient Greek. Additionally you may also add any preferences and interests regarding history, music, dance or other aspects of Greek culture. Please also indicate the package and the type of course you desire (beginners, intermediate, advanced, Greek literature and culture, ancient Greek):
COMPLETE PACKAGE in CHIOS includes:
• The course: 40 hours of lessons divided into 10 days with native teachers with experience in teaching Greek as a foreign language. That is 5 + 5 days of lessons with a break of 2 days dedicated to excursions and various cultural activities (optional).
• All teaching material (books, photocopies, CD).
• Accommodation for 13 nights in the Genoese Villa Voulamandis House with breakfast (air-conditioning, double room shared with another student, bath, shower, LCD TV, free Wi-Fi, fridge and kettles).
• A dinner at the end of the course in a typical Greek tavern or at Voulamandis House.
ONE WEEK COURSE
Those without the possibility of staying for 2 weeks in Greece can choose a 1 WEEK COURSE, being the first week of every 2-week intensive course (day 1 till day 7, check in Sunday, check out Sunday). Please indicate the one week package type you desire (beginners, intermediate, advanced). The one week courses take place in the following dates:
THE ONE WEEK PACKAGE includes:
• The course: 20 hours of lessons divided into 5 days with native teachers with experience in teaching Greek as a second language. After the 5 days of tuition there is one free day dedicated to various cultural activities and excursions (optional).
• All teaching material (books, photocopies, CD).
• Accommodation for 7 nights in the Genoese Villa Voulamandis House with breakfast (air-conditioning, single room, bath, shower, LCD TV, free Wi-Fi, fridge and kettles).
A minimum number of 4 participants per level and a maximum of 8 students per class is required. However, it is up to the Institute whether to run courses with a fewer number of students. If a class (level) has less than 4 students, the teaching hours will be reduced to 3 hours per day if there are 3 or 2 students, or to 2 hours per day (private lessons) if there is 1 student for the same course fee.
For friends or for couples who wish to attend the TWO WEEK COURSE there is a discount of 10% in the tuition fee. For students who wish to attend TWO PERIODS (ONE MONTH COURSE) there is a discount of 10% in the tuition fee. Group enrolments (3 or more participants) of the same level have a discount of 15%. Returning students have also a discount of 10% in the tuition fee.
Bank transfer to Alexandria Institute (Athens). Please contact us for bank details at email@example.com or +30 6972 526 788 or at +30 215 525 8787
Deadline for registration and payment TWO MONTHS before the beginning of the course.
For registration or information about the Greek language and culture course at Chios, please fill in the registration form or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or +306972526788 (Greece) or at ++30 215 525 8787.